More wishes if you click here.
Wish Tree for Pasadena / A temporary site-specific artwork by Yoko Ono
Wish Tree for Pasadena is an art installation that consists of 21 living crape myrtle trees installed amongst the café tables and chairs in the Courtyard of One Colorado. Visitors are invited to write their wishes on pieces of paper and hang them on the tree branches. Yoko Ono’s Wish Tree for Pasadena is free and open to the public.
The opening of the Pasadena Wish Tree exhibition will be celebrated by a group of childcare providers from CULTURAL CARE AU PAIR, along with the local children they care for and other members of their host families, giving the event a truly international flavor. The opening occurs Saturday, August 2 at 10:00 A.M. in the One Colorado Courtyard.
The local Cultural Care Au Pairs will be helping the children reach the tree branches to tie wishes in the trees.
Wishes from Wish Tree for Pasadena will be joined with others from all over the world and placed in specially constructed capsules to be installed in the area surrounding Yoko Ono’s Imagine Peace Tower on Videy Island, off the coast of Reykjavík, Iceland. The artwork is dedicated to the memory of John Lennon. The tower, a column of light emanating from a stone base with a radius of about 10 meters, is lit for two months each year starting on October 9, John Lennon’s birthday, and ending on December 9, the anniversary of his death. The artwork is also lit at certain other special times during the year. For more information, visit www.imaginepeace.com
Facts about Yoko Ono’s Wish Tree for Pasadena
• 21 crape myrtle trees (Lagerstroemia)
• Planters are recycled wine barrels
• Yoko Ono’s artwork, Wish Tree, has been presented around the world, including the city of Detroit; Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Modern Art, Rio de Janeiro; Museum of Modern Art, Oxford; Lonja del Pescado, Alicante, Spain; Israel Museum, Jerusalem; Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo; Samsung Museum, Seoul; the Venice Biennale exhibition; and numerous other venues
• Hundreds of thousands of wishes have been collected from around the world
• Trees will be donated to Arlington Garden, a community garden in Pasadena following the installation
Presented in collaboration with the Armory Center for the Arts and One Colorado.
◊ ◊ ◊
mp3 • John Lennon - "Oh Yoko"
pics • http://www.flickr.com/photos/celestronica/sets/72157606531247855/