miércoles, octubre 19

Pulp's "Mile End"

Probably haven't heard this song since the 90s myself. Okay, maybe since early 2000. (I forgot that I used to DJ at Brit's Pub in Minneapolis for their Britpop night... and I had to have played this at some point during that.) Anyway, I've been fast-forwarding through my ipod during every work day, and here we are - 4p on a Wednesday and this song re-enters my life like a long lost friend or like a 10 year class reunion invitation. I don't even remember uploading this. Oh Jarvis. Jarvis! What has happened?

---

MILE END is on the Trainspotting soundtrack. Remember that? I think there was a point where everyone I knew had the movie or the soundtrack or the book or the badge - all donning the same artwork. My favorite line?
"the lift is always full of piss,
the fifth floor landing smells of fish
(not just on friday,
every single other day)
"
Who knows why I have an attachment to that specific part in the song, it has no direct relevant meaning to me. However, it does remind me of first apartments, living everyday like you're absolutely fabulous and not having a care in the world. Or perhaps its the placement of those lyrics in the song? Oh, the song, which seems to start and stop, fakes an ending here and there. The type of fakie that if conducted live, an audience would prematurely clap. It's quirky, naively optimistic, and - put awkwardly "lalala"s in any song - and I'll love it.

---

Ten years later we've replaced MILE END with 8 MILE.
As Mark Mallman (the other M&M - having the same initials as Marshall Mathers...) once sang, "Nothing changes it just rearranges" - both songs talking about some shitty place you used to live...

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora