sábado, noviembre 12

Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone"

Before you begin to cringe, let me begin by defending myself - at the Jerk Store party, the kids went fucking insane when Frankie played this song. To my horror, my friends did as well. Everyone around me were jumping up and down and singing along - like it was this year's pop anthem. Craziness. I was lost in a sea of this "WTF?!" My flatmate even demanded I play it before going to brunch the next day, hungover et al.


Smith during "Since You've Been Gone"


So what in the world is it about the song? It's 2005's version of "I Will Survive" - which if any of you have been to a karaoke bar/night, various clubs on certain nights and certainly drag shows... will know that song outlived the death of disco. Anyone who's been through a break-up can grab on to this song, sing it in the shower and instantly feel this strange relief. And everyone's been through a break-up that needed this song. Let's face it. We're all licking some sort wounds from some sordid affair with someone who we never mention by name and instead use some kind of nickname or simply refer to them as "the asshole" or "the creep with no soul" or "poohead." Kelly Clarkson is a great platform for this song as well. She's got a terrific voice, raspy and strong. The kind you'd expect to be singing, convincingly, "You've had your chance you blew it..." and "I'm so moving on..."

I love her story by the way. Another lowest common denominator that works for this song. We all love a Cinderella story. I especially love the glass slippers.

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora