viernes, diciembre 2

Beck's "Girl" [Remix by Octet]

Holy crap. I'm not sure on my stance on remix albums, I don't recall ever really liking an entire record of remixes. The most memorable in my mind are Bjork's "Telegram" (counter part to her "Post" record) and The Faint's... um, well the remixes for Danse Macabre. Though I enjoyed most the tracks on these records, I didn't enjoy them as a continuous, whole records. So far so good for Becks' "Guerolito." Too soon to say whether or not I can enjoy it as a whole, but so far - no complaints. There are really handsome remixes on this record by artists whom I figured would make great versions of already teriffic songs, but some who I wondered about their follow-through. I've been pleasantly surprised all around.

"Girl" was the track off of "Guero" that I constantly sought out, and of course I was most curious at an alternate version of it... and I have to say it's great. One minute it's stripped down, accompanied by classical piano (wow), another moment later and it's a pounding electro hit. Somehow it all works - constructed and deconstructed. Reading this, you probably expect it to clash, but somehow it works... in the end all of its quilted elements melt together.

Anticipating skeptic turned total fan.

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora