miércoles, enero 11

The Boy Least Likely To's 'Be Gentle With Me" & "Paper Cuts" & "Hugging My Grudge"

capricious \kuh-PRISH-us; -PREE-shus\, adjective:
Apt to change suddenly; whimsical; changeable.

I was introduced to this band by my little summer guest, (the infamous)Michally K. As the story has been relayed, she was in a car with Colleen and our now-friend Laura who was playing “Be Gentle With Me.” That song is the perfect kind of cute, optimistic, happy, summer-esque song that Michally loves.
(In direct contrast to the other type of sad bastard music she loves, Mark Kozelek is her favorite. I, on the other hand, become intensely suicidal when I hear any two or three notes by Red House Painters).
Anyhow, she got me super into the song that was playing in the car that night. We would often start the summer day out with “Be Gentle With Me”... Or if we needed a pick me up, we’d head straight for that song. It led me to look for other Boy Least Likely To Songs... I am unsure as to whether the album is available Stateside yet. For all I know, it isn’t. But my itunes informs me that it was out in 2004. *Shrug*.
“Be Gentle With Me” is exactly about what you’d assume it is. (We’re talking straight-forward Rentals-like pop music here, folks.) A little someone asking you to be gentle with them because they are fragile. I think it’s about losing your virginity to someone more experiened because of the lyrics but specifically about this is line: “I wanna pick peaches off the cherry trees...” But that could also just be my perverse mind. (Although Michally agrees with me.)
“Paper Cuts” is one of my favorites off the album called “The Best Party Ever” but it’s got kind of the same wussy lyrical content that kind of translates into “Waa waa waa/I’ve always been in love with you/They’re just paper cuts...” We’re talking total mangina* here.
“Hugging My Grudge” however is one I can side with. It’s a little bit more bitter, ”I don’t think I’ll ever be happy/Unless I’m unhappy and hugging my grudge”. It’s like the person who wrote the two aforementioned songs grew a spine and stopped taking shit for their total cunt of a girlfriend and is now pissed but they’ve been so nice for so long they can only write a song that resembles happy-happy-joy-joy.
Now, don’t get me wrong I’m super into this record, for what it is. It’s catchy and up. If you are stoked on Belle & Sebastian’s happier tunes, this is your jam.

ADD THIS TO YOUR VOCAB:
*Mangina: N. Man w a vagina; One who is overly sensitive, specifically a male.
Synonym – wussy, pussy, etc... You get the jist of it.
Symptoms – listens to bright eyes willingly, calls you to have a “talk”, sends you song lyrics over myspace

http://www.theboyleastlikelyto.co.uk/bllt_web/music.html

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora