martes, marzo 7

Bob Dylan's "She Belongs To Me (Alternative Take)"

As the espresso's effect slowly wears off, I just had to get this up and out before I lose the motivation. I finally got off my ass and to the record store tonight. Being there for a lengthy amount of time, a bit forgetful and hurried, I had already popped my pile onto the counter and then it dawned on me: I should look for this Dylan record. "No Direction Home: The Soundtrack" came out last September and I've been trying to remind myself to pick it up. It took close to 6 months, but I finally have it. And I predict to be living inside these 28 previously unreleased versions of Dylan songs for the next few weeks.

When I got to the second disc, I found it opens with "She Belongs To Me" and I was instantly overwhelemed. This song was never in my top tier of Bob Dylan favorites.

When I finally told my mother that I had moved to Minneapolis from San Francisco (I was scared to tell her that I moved so far away from her in So. Cal, predicting that I would have a two-or-more-hour-long conversation and then find myself on the next plane back out of guilt. So I waited to tell her after I had already been in Minnesota for about a month). She sighed, and then sang a snippet of this song.
She's got everything she needs / She's an artist, she don't look back / She can take the dark out of the nighttime / And paint the daytime black.
At the time, I had no fuckin' idea what she was singing. Was it obscure Simon & Garfunkel? Some weird band she's got some weird story about? Was it something she made up on the spot? Then she said, "You know Bob Dylan was originally from Minnesota." (What like because Dylan was from there it was acceptable?) Eight years later, here I am - surrounded by layers of guitars that accompany the lyrics and I'm hearing Bob sing but remembering my mother's funny version of it doing her best Dylan-accent impression on top of her own foriegn accent. Add this to that top tier.

Even if you didn't have a weirdo parent who sings you Bob Dylan lyrics to lament your decision to move across the country - surely there's a song in here for you. Desolation Row? Man of Constant Sorrow? Masters of War? Leopard-Skin Pill-box Hat? Whichever you fancy - there's a gem in here for you.

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora