domingo, abril 16

The Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work" + Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's "Shuffle Your Feet"

The Verve's song, a romantic little ballad - though Ashcroft might be crooning away to some sort of substance as opposed to a person - is hopeful and tender, singing that the drugs don't work, they just make you worse but he knows he'll see your face again. Reminds me of someone wallowing and choosing to linger in remembrance.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's ditty on the other hand is spirited, carefree, and up beat, giving you that i-don't-give-a-fuck-and-i'm-having-a-great-time vibe. Time won't save your soul, and who knows if I'll see you again. This one reminds me of someone moving on and getting over it.

There's a place for both of these songs, and we've all been in both these places before. One states "Who knows if I'll see you again" (BRMC), the other states "I know I'll see your face again" (The Verve). Relationships, romantic and friendly, are so concentrated on finality. I know a lot of people who treat others a certain way because of the frequency in which they see the other person. (I'm sure we're all guilty of this now that I think about it. Myself included.) They tell me that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but I tend to believe that that's a myth, or wishful thinking. That's what we want to believe. But realistically speaking, human nature has proven to me (at least) that this couldn't be further from the truth. If something isn't in your face, you forget about it. Reality vs. romance... The truth is that distance and time heals heartache.

Isn't that why companies spend millions of dollars (billions, even) on advertising and marketing to make sure that their brand/product stays in your memory? Aren't you glad that not everyone has that kind of money to spend just to stay important and vital to you? But is it important and vital? You can live without Coca-Cola can't you? Or can you? But do you?

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora