jueves, septiembre 28

Rufus Wainwright's "Katonah (The Death Of The Firstborn)"

I was elated to find that STEREOGUM.COM posted up a new song by my favorite boy. I feel like I've heard it before, which is quite possible given that I've (happily) seen him perform ump-teen times this past year. Reports STEREOGUM.COM:
This track comes from Plague Songs, an album commissioned by the arts organization Artangel and comprising contributions from stalwarts and Stereogum faves including Stephin Merritt, Brian Eno (and Robert Wyatt), and Rufus Wainwright. Each artist was asked to pen a song inspired by one of the ten biblical plagues in the Book of Exodus as part of a film and a larger, public art project in the British city of Margate.
Plague Songs is out 10/2 in the UK, 11/7 in the States, from 4AD.

What kind of RW is this? If you're familiar, it's a guitar song (meaning not a piano one) and it sounds like Martha is back doing backing vocals; More folky and sounds influenced by his mother and aunt, Kate & Anna McGarrigle - than it is influenced by Opera, Glam, Pop, or Judy Judy Judy.

Day 6. Looking back at the previous moving posts, it seems like I was talking more about things that were done and didn't touch at all on the emotional part of moving. I guess I feel little emotion over leaving. I thought I would be more... more... anything. But I guess I haven't really lived in Chicago since November and have spent the last 9 months slowly saying goodbye and mourning my loss of time in the city. I've spent the year in and out of Los Angeles the most, second Chicago, then New York, Seattle, Miami, San Diego, and even Park City UT for Sundance. I feel unmotivated to go out and do the party thing. I went out on Saturday and saw someone who blew me a kiss - probably thinking we were still cool, but before I left for LA in August, I was told was talking unfavorably of me. This action just propelled me into unwanted drama and reminders of small towns and small circles. Luckily I was with my best friend Maria, who was the third person I saw (Jeb and Amber picked me up from the airport) and just who I needed to see. I also went out Monday night, and Tuesday, so I don't feel so bad about being responsible and working the rest of this time... I've seen most the people I wanted to see at least once, quality time or not. Besides, I can't let a little thing like moving at least seven states west get in the way of work, after all!

Anyway, yeah - I'm pretty detached from this whole moving thing. Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago. I really do. It's been very good to me. I've met who I hope to be lifelong friends. But I'm not as sad to say goodbye as I thought I would be. Does this mean I'll inevitably find a crashing point in which I miss it terribly and my stomach feels queasy and crushed by my longing for the city? Probably not: Today was freezing.

Today today... I expected to see Alex again so that he could pick up some goods I'm ridding myself of. But I didn't hear from him. I was hoping to see Colleen, who I've been saving my alarm clock for. But I didn't hear from her. I was hoping to see John, who I've been holding onto my art supplies for. But I didn't hear from him after he got off of work. I did have a meeting with a client, and The Bear and Jesse came by and ate their Wendy's here as Jesse flipped through Comcast's On Demand music video selection, checking out who he jokingly referred to as "the competition." I called all utility companies and disconnected all my services. A girl named Morgan popped in also and bought my bike. Turns out she's a writer for Men's Health, Woman's Health and other health magazines. She was nice. I spent the day working, and the night packing. I got stir crazy around 10p, called Maria and asked if she wanted to get milkshakes. The natural answer was yes so we headed out to Baskin Robbins and got matching Jamoca™ shakes. Once again The Bear and Jesse stopped in to get the last piece of my beloved couch. Maria just left. I'm left alone with the television on IFC and I'm so incredibly exhausted I'm only still at the computer because it would take so much energy to get up and go to bed.

Courtesy of Stereogum.com: Rufus Wainwright – "Katonah (The Death Of The Firstborn)" mp3

*Jeremy Scherer, are you out there? I hope you're pleased this is getting updated so often!

No hay comentarios:

© 2009-2010 celeste tabora